The Value of Repurposing Content
There’s a lot of content out there—according to reports, about 27 million pieces of content get published online each day—27 million. No doubt, that pushing your content to your target audience has become an uphill task. One has to devise creative ways of making their content stand out so it can give them positive ROI. If you want your old content to continue giving you returns on investment, here are some of the ideas you can use to exploit its potential.
- Rework and Repost: Other than spending time and money on creating a new post, why not give any of your popular posts a facelift and publish it again? Chances are, there are still some people who haven’t viewed it yet. Besides, revising it will make the post feel fresh even for your old website visitors. Use this opportunity to update any non-evergreen content as the information contained does expire in due time. Here are some of the ideas you can use on your old content:
- If it contained any statistics or information that applied at the time of penning it, update the old values with new, relevant information.
- Find a new, relevant insight and rework your old post to include it
- Make a slight change of the title to give it a new focus
- Tweak the voice of your content to fit a different demographic or persona
- Make it more friendly for search engines
The above tricks will give your visitors, both old and new, a reason to engage with the content. For each new title, the same content is likely to attract a different stream of viewers. Do not forget to post the new changes in social media so that your followers can get an update about the latest version as well.
- Repurpose your old content: The aim of promoting your content continuously is to reach different readers. However, people have different preferences when it comes to the kind of content they interact with. Thankfully, the same message captured in your text article can be packaged into a video, podcast, slide or newsletter, among other outputs. This not only widens the demographic you can reach, but also increases your options when choosing the mode of distribution.
- Invest in solid distribution channels: Just like mentioned above, if you are going to have your content in different formats, then you will need more than one distribution channel. These should actually be chosen to match the kind of content you intend to create. If you decide to create videos, you’ll need a compatible channel like Youtube to publish it. This goes for podcasts, slides and so forth.
In some cases, it would be helpful to subscribe to paid services such as those dealing with bulk emails, Google ads, and Facebook ads, among others. This enables you to save time and reach more audience at once.
It may not be practical to invest in all these channels at once. So, how do you choose the most effective ones for your business?
If you want to concentrate on just a few channels that work for you best, then you’ll need to monitor the performance of each platform.
- Keep promoting your content: Perhaps you have heard about the 80 versus 20 rule of content marketing. Going by this rule, one should spend 20 percent of their time developing content and the remaining 80 percent on marketing it. But, how many follow this rule? Even if you don’t fully adhere to the percentages, posting your content on your chosen platform only once and taking a rest won’t bear any reasonable results.
Through continuous marketing, you can:
- Direct new visitors to your new and old content
- Push your content to reach even the passive readers (e.g. by sending several newsletters and emails)
Creating attractive content is expensive. You invest your time and money to achieve it. Unfortunately, you need to do much more to get reasonable returns from the investment. Other than spending more in creating extra content, why not optimize value out of what you already have? Use the above ideas to recycle and continue enjoying returns from your old content. And don’t forget to measure and report on content so you ensure your efforts are positively impacting the bottom line.